On 24/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>The Sting Rays and other new bikes were considered sissy stuff, too
>clean and dainty for us.

Wow, the memories are flooding back. I had a Schwinn Sting Ray when I was
about 11 (1971). Three speed stick shift into a Sturmey-Archer hub. There
was a cool mod that we all did that was very popular at the time. Got rid
of the big banana seat, cut the rear vertical struts, installed a normal
single saddle, attached said struts to saddle so now the bike had extra
bracing from the rear axle up to the saddle as well as the normal seat
post. These were perhaps the forerunners of the event bikes that you see
today?

Kids do stupid things, I was coasting along and letting my foot catch in
the front spokes, making a pleasing rattling noise, when it got caught a
little further than I planned - round went my foot until it made good
contact with the fork, and I somersaulted down the road. Dazed and with
twisted ankle, all I could mutter was 'cooool!'

Kids.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__