on 27.01.04 20:01, Shel Belinkoff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Scanners used will be an Imacon Flextight 626 (I believe
> that's the number) and the Nikon Coolscan IV 4000dpi unit,
> if that makes any difference.
Coolscans use LEDs as a light source. This is very directional light and is
severely blocked by silver particles in conventional B&W negatives. The
result is that scanner's Dmax falls down to about 2 (the value was measured
by one of German's photo magazines - other manufacturers' scanners had this
about 3) - scans look really bad. Most scanners with cold cathode lamps
(like this Flextight or Minoltas) are far better in this regard.

--
Best Regards
Sylwek