>I have always thought that bypassing the local distributor on new equipment
>is not the best thing to do.
>Pentax Canada, for example, does offer an international warranty on it's
>equipment, but Pentax USA, I believe, does not.
>Consider that if you are buying a product from a foriegn distributor, you
>are essentially contributing to a grey market problem, and the local

Are you honestly telling me that 600$CDN = ~ 450$USD is worth a scrappy little paper
saying "warranty"?  Fortunately I've never had to deal with warranty issues for
cameras but when it comes down to my audio equipment, my car etc. fighting for the
damn warranty is a challenge in itself.  I agree, knowing your dealer helps, but for
me I go to many different camera shops and I doubt they know me by face.  Just because
I bought a lens from them doesn't make me any more special.  For that price gap, I
would go with B&H.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes the $$$ difference is worth it.  I recently bought a new
pair of bike wheels this summer, at about 1000$cdn from my local guy.  I could've
saved ~200$ if I had bought them from a large American store like coloradocyclist but
I didn't.  I've already sent back the stupid ass wheels twice for warranty.  But you
know what, everytime I do, I KNOW my store is behind me 100% and they try to get whats
best for me.

But for me 1345$USD at B&H x 1.35 exchange now = 1815
local store (w/256mb card) 2099$cdn x 1.155 (tax) = 2425
that's a diff of 610$cdn.  maybe less if we got the mem card at b&h.
for that price I could make roughly 10 round trips to NYC? (food + gas)

and that's not even including the 300$US rebate.  Canadian rebate?  I haven't seen
one...

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe
this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to
this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption,
unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on
the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment,
tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.