> Norfork & Western did not agree with your premise. They only dropped steam
when
> they could not get critical parts any longer. It took 8 diesel locomotives
to to
> haul the load of one of their steam engines. It is another case of once
the
> infrastructure is gone it is insanely expensive to replace it. Which we
are
> going to probably eventually find out is the case with film.

The N&W built their own steam locomotives in the Roanoke, VA shops,
including the best looking and most efficient steam locos ever built, the
J-series.  AFAIK, they still build their own coal hoppers, again, in the
Roanoke shops.  Also, I believe the 8:1 ratio is a bit optimistic.  The most
diesel electrics I ever saw hooked to a long string of coal hoppers was 5,
which could be handled by one 2-8-8-2 steamer.  I imagine the steamers were
much more labor intensive to maintain. Especially considering the number of
water towers that had to be maintained