When I lived in Atlanta the MARTA didn't go enough places to make it worth while.
I lived 5 minutes by car from the Northern terminus but the nearest station to my
job was 3 miles by winding road. The only time it was of any value at all was when
I interview for my job in Connecticut. 5 Minute Drive to MARTA, 3/4 hour ride to Airport
3 Hour direct flight to Hartford, 15 minutes in rental car to Office for 2 hour interview.
return that evening for dinner. I couldn't have done that if I had to drive in Atlanta.
(But that was the only time it was worth while).

At 06:26 PM 2/13/04, you wrote:
> From: mike wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> This seems to be a "class" thing.  Even when it is more
> convenient to use public transport, mixing with "those
> people" is what really puts people off.

I heard this about the Atlanta subway system, but I rode it for a few
stops and it didn't seem to be all that bad. Boston's subway system
seemed to be used by all different types when I was up there in October.

> She was probably fitter - and could afford a mink coat(!) - > than many who drove.

I have a friend who left NYC and moved to Michigan and quickly put on
some weight because he wasn't walking anymore. :)

I drink to make other people interesting.
-- George Jean Nathan