On 18/2/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>I've been following the list via the archive for a while now, and decided
>to make my presence known at last.

Hi Don.

>I've been using Pentax gear for a number of years, and have recently made
>the switch to digital (with the *ist-D, of course).  I was about to bail on
>Pentax due to lack of a DSLR,  but when the *ist-D was announced, I hung
>tight and purchased one as soon as it became available in the States.
>
>Anyway, I've got several Pentax film bodies that are basically collecting
>dust at the moment.  I want to keep at least one film body around as a
>backup on trips in case something happens to the *ist-D.
>
>A PZ-20 is (was) my wife's main camera, and she does not want to sell it
>(for now).  I don't really like the camera that much, but she does and
>that's fine for the moment.
>
>I've got a LX and a Super Program and am trying decide which one to let
>go.  I know the LX is the better camera, but I also know that I'll be able
>to get more money for it.  The Super Program was my main camera for a
>number of years and have taken a number of great shots with it, so I have
>no problem keeping it either.  I've also thought about selling both, and
>pick up a MX for a totally manual backup solution.
>
>Any insight or advice?  Which film camera would you have to backup the
*ist-D?

An MX without a doubt. You are already finding that your film cameras are
gathering dust, and I would bet that the number of times you'll need a
film backup over your *ist D over the following few years, you would be
able to count on the fingers of one hand.

With a very capable camera like the *ist D which features all the latest
gizmos, it's very refreshing to pick up a very basic camera like the MX
and just play with it if nothing else.

Or the Super Program, it doesn't really matter, unless there's
particularly great sentimental value attached to either that or the LX.

.02 pixels,

Best,

Cheers,
  Cotty