Hi,

I saw the Aurora Borealis for the first time in my life last night.  We live
at a latitude of 43° 34' N.   It was pretty exciting.  It was grayish and
had a greenish tinge, vertical rays extending from the horizon.  It did
shimmer a little, but it appeared to change before your eyes, without
actually being able to see the change in process.  It spanned about 180° of
the horizon and reached to about 20° above the horizon.  I had Provia 400F
in the camera and got a number of shots.  It lasted from around midnite when
I first saw it to later than 4:00.  At 4:00 it had lessened to a thin arced
band, that was like a grayish green shallow rainbow.

I'm hoping the longer exposures, 4 and 8 seconds bring out more of the
green.

The NOAA space weather site lists geomagnetic storms in the last 24 hours as
extreme and currently as strong.  I'm going out tonight for sure.  It would
be neat if we had a lot of PDML pictures to compare.

Space Weather Site: http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

Tom C.