Personally, I have never had any problems with Hoya filters, except for
one - the Softener(B).  Personally, rather than just "softening" a shot, I
feel that it makes it look washed out, almost to a point of being
over-exposed.  As a few others mentioned previously, the most tried and true
method of creating a softening or diffusing filter is to wrap nylon stocking
over the lens.  An alternative that I have used and prevents vignetting is
to get a larger piece of the pantihose or tulle, whichever you choose to
use, and stretch it between a craft loop (don't know if that's what its
called but that's what i am calling it!) - one of those circular frames that
women  (and men if they choose! hehe) use to hold their fabric in place for
embroidery.  You can then hold this in front of the lens as you shoot.  Some
of you may not like this idea as it means you need to use both hands
however, I love the flexibility it gives.  Obviously this can only be done
when using a tripod and probably a cable release, so it wouldn't be suited
to every situation, but it has on many occasions allowed me to shoot, one
shot with softener, one shot without, repose the model, shoot again with it,
shoot again without etc.  So as soon as I get the prints back, I can compare
the effect and choose which one I would prefer (ie with softener or
without), rather than look at the prints and think "geez, i wish I'd used a
softener" or "geez, i wish I hadn't used a softener" etc....

Hope this helps and at least makes some sense - I know I can be very
long-winded at times! (Typical woman, you see! Well, so my hubby says...)

:-)

Tanya.