From: "graywolf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PAW - seated @ 1/4

I guess my problem with all this goes back to when I took a color

photography

course at Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn 25-30 years ago. I took

the

class because while I had about 20 years experience with B&W, I had almost

zip

with color. Figured it would be a quick way to come up to speed. We used
strictly slide film for the class overnight develop and turn in the whole

roll

in slide pages for each assignment.

One of the assignments was the color red. I caught a shot of a brand new

bright

red junkyard crane. I was in a position to photograph only once that I saw

in a

year of watching afterward. It had to be in just the right position in the

yard

or it was blocked by buildings. In that position you could see it from a

park.

But only from a spot about 10 feet square. Move right or left and it was

again

blocked by the buildings. Move forward and it was blocked by a fence. Move

back

and the trees blocked it. But from that point that one time it was

perfect.

Except, there were powerlines in front of it. Now today with Photoshop

that

would be no big deal. Nor would it have been much of a problem having a

print

retouched, but with an overnight slide?

The lady instructor insisted that I should have taken the shot from

another

viewpoint. That there was always another viewpoint. That she was

absolutely

right about everything she said, she was the instructor, after all.
Unfortunately she didn't know a heck of a lot about photography. I had the
impression that her qualifications were that she had taken the same course

couple of years before.

I have ever since hated uninformed criticism.

Interestingly that is the only formal photography course I have ever

taken. I

tried to get into a business class for photographers a few years later.

The

instructor wanted me to turn in my portfolio and contact sheets for

evaluation

to determine if I could be given such advanced standing. Remembering the

other

class, I took his idea seriously and asked some of area pros what they

thought

of him as a photographer, and would they hire graduates from his courses.

As a

result of that research, I took a couple of general business classes.

--

Rob Studdert wrote:

I'm with Frank to a degree, I don't mind constructive criticism however

the

"after the fact" comments are what put me off competing in photo club

salons. I

don't know how often these sorts of compositional comments were made as

if the

photographer had control of the elements or could have put themselves in

better position than they did (for instance where the shots were

obviously

happened upon and not at all static). Sometimes it just isn't possible

better the composition and if as the photographer you know this then

comments

telling you how you should have done it are frustrating to say the

least.

--
graywolf
http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."