I'm an Islay fan, too. Bowmore in my case.

For those planning a trip to Scotland, you need to practice how to drink, if you are to establish any credibility.

First, you down your pint of heavy (bitter) in one long draught, then chase it down with a glass of whisky, again in one gulp. This is done in turn around the table until nobody is left alive.

Sassenachs need to know that in Scottish bars a "glass" of whisky is a double measure. If you only want a single, you ask for a half, thus announcing to the world that you are a big girl's blowse. Across the border, a half refers to half a pint of bitter.

John