A while ago one of our number experienced a ghost image in one of his *istD
shots, and asked what it might be.  It looked like a classic type of ghost
image that has been known since the beginning of photography, but some folks
here were adamant that it was caused by reflection from the sensor.  Of
course it was possible that it WAS from the sensor, but why look for a more
complex explanation when a simpler explanation - that the ghost image came
entirely from the lens or filter - already had a history as the source of
ghosting flare.  The photographer in question soon proved that an uncoated
filter was the cause of the problem by reproducing the ghost images
deliberately, and then noting the absence of ghost-imaging when the filter
was removed.  The 'It's The Sensor's Fault' chorus fell suddenly silent.

My feeling is that 'Digital Problems' are more likely to be some of the less
common occurences of camera-work that are being experienced due to the sheer
volume of shots being taken by new digital photographers.  The laws of
probability are simply catching up on them.

Admittedly, a shiny sensor can be the source of ghost images or scattering
flare, but those problems can only follow through to completion if the stray
light encounters substandard baffling in the mirror-box, or substandard
coating on optical surfaces.  We Pentax users have long been well served on
the last point, but it seems that time and progress has caught up on some
Other Brands who have been content to apply the lens coatings of their
accountants' choice.

regards,
Anthony Farr