Comments on "Heir Bourn" by David Brooks

Catchy title.  First I wish that this image was just a little larger.  It is
more difficult to discern detail at half size.  The scan looks like it could
use a little sharpening.  That said, let's look a little closer.

The timing of the shot is great.  The horse is fully off the ground but
still moving up.  This is more appealing to me than on the downward side.  I
suspect that timing this kind of thing is not very easy, as it happens very
quickly.  A few things that could improve the shot- there is just a tiny bit
of post visible on the left edge. I would crop it out as it is more
distracting than adding to the image.  There is also a pole coming up right
on the backside of the rider.  This one can't be helped as much unless a
different angle were used.  A much shallower depth of field could also
reduce this distraction as well as bring more attention and focus on the
rider/horse.  One of my biggest reasons to use a tripod is to help improve
my composition.  It is always better when I can leave the camera still and
look around.  In this image, the bottom of the gates are cut off just a bit,
while there is ample room on top.  This is where the tripod comes into
play - being able to see those kinds of details.  A minor shift down and you
are all set.

While I have mentioned some improvements in this photo, I do want to say
that is a well done image and I suspect that non-critical viewers would be
very pleased with the result.  If I had taken this one, I think it would be
at least a two session exercise.  The first one to get a feel for the result
and the second to get the final image.  I would also experiment with
multiple angles of view.  I'm thinking of a low, side front view with the
horse coming at you.

Bruce Dayton
Sacramento, CA