My understanding from the area Pentax Rep is that Pentax no longer warehouses things. They come off the assembly line, are shipped to the distribution center in the Philippines, and are shipped out directly to dealers from distributors orders. Usually within 24 hours or so. That kind of means that they go in fits and starts as they dribble in until the pipeline is full then they kind of keep moving along until the item is discontinued and orders are no longer filled.

The effects are my educated guesses, from the facts he told me.

--

Joseph Tainter wrote:
B&H had the DA 16-45 in stock last Thursday, I believe. Today it is again backordered, so all the stock they received sold immediately.

Why is Pentax having so much trouble supplying this lens? A few possibilities crossed my mind:

1. Pentax has been stretched beyond capacity by all of the new product releases. I consider this unlikely because the DA 16-45 is the first new SLR lens in a while. Unless most of the capacity is being used for digital point-and-shoot lenses?

2. The assembly plant in Vietnam is having problems.

3. Hoya's glass production isn't keeping up with the surge in demand caused by digital.

Thoughts, anyone?

Pentax sure has dropped the ball with this one. The lens is a winner optically, it is in demand, there are rebates to buyers, yet it is nowhere to be found.

Joe

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."