From: Joseph Tainter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 9:53 AM
To: pdml
Subject: Da Lens -- here yesterday, gone today

B&H had the DA 16-45 in stock last Thursday, I believe. Today it is again backordered, so all the stock they received sold immediately.

Why is Pentax having so much trouble supplying this lens? A few possibilities crossed my mind:

1. Pentax has been stretched beyond capacity by all of the new product releases. I consider this unlikely because the DA 16-45 is the first new

SLR lens in a while. Unless most of the capacity is being used for digital point-and-shoot lenses?

2. The assembly plant in Vietnam is having problems.

3. Hoya's glass production isn't keeping up with the surge in demand caused by digital.

Thoughts, anyone?

Pentax sure has dropped the ball with this one. The lens is a winner optically, it is in demand, there are rebates to buyers, yet it is nowhere to be found.

Joe