Mine are primarily engineering journals, various of the many IEEE publications - 12 in
all. Thank God my company pays for them. I keep them - forever. They are necessary as
references (and for the references). Each discipline in the sciences has it's own
*myriad*
of journals. All large libraries have some of these journals, especially college and
university libraries. Past issues are hardbound. Every report you see that you wish to
investigate should contain some cite. If it does not, ignore it or read it for
amusement.
If it has a cite, go to the library and look it up. Otherwise, your task is most
formidable and unbelievably time consuming due to the sheer number of publications. In
good library, you will be astonished at the sheer volume these take up. (much larger
than
a major law library!) You will have to start with a Reader's Guide to Periodicals or
it's
equivalent for the specific discipline you are searching. With practice, you can get
fast
and good at it though. Be prepared for very bland reading devoid of well composed color
photos but with lot's of esoteric math and many curves and graphs. Be prepared for
strange
verbiage. Much of what I read discusses "hydrometeors". You and I would call them
raindrops.

Regards,
Bob...
"In the carboniferous epoch
we were promised perpetual peace.
They swore if we gave up our weapons
that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed they sold us,
and delivered us, bound, to our foe.
And the gods of the copybook headings said,
'Stick to the devil you know.' "
--Rudyard Kipling