Doug,
MIT and Cal Tech have no 'professional' athletic teams to support.  Your
donations go to science research or education.
Regards,  Bob S.

<< > What can the public do?

 How about direct contributions to your favorite research institutions,
 specifically ear-marked for research?  This isn't a troll, it's a real
 question. Do those funds actually go to research, or do I have to found
 an institution that can provide grants to ensure that my cash doesn't
 end up lining some left tackle's pocket? I'd be happy to contribute, as
 long as I have some reasonable level of assurance that my cash goes to
 the science department rather than the athletic department.

 TTYL, DougF >>