> From: Andre Langevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >Hi - I'm Bill and I have made scads of beautiful (and even
> >     well-selling!) images using my lowly 20mm f4.5 "Bow-Wow Takumar"
>       How can this be?
> >Bill
>
> Because the lens has good contrast and your eye good vision.
>
> Andre

Bill, I don't get it either.  Nobody wanted to buy any of those perfectly
exposed pictures of brick walls I took on fine-grained film with my 20/4.5,
probably because they were turned off by the "double form of distortion
and loss of sharpness in the corners of the image". <vbg!>

But seriously...

While the test target shots from this lens show that it has some genuine
problems at wider apertures, I've put a certain amount of mileage on mine
and have not been disappointed in the way I've been disappointed by, say,
my 14/3.5 Sigma or 70-210/4 AF Nikkor (which are simply "not sharp" wide
open).
My major gripe about the 20/4.5 in actual use is that it is damned hard to
focus in poor light, at least on a Spotmatic.  Also, every 20mm nikkor
I've tested is better, which leads me to hope that more recent Pentax 20mm
lenses are also better.

While I'd like to find a "better" and yet still affordable 20mm Pentax
lens to take on vacation, it looks like the 20/4.5 SMC-T and a
screw-bayonet adapter are going to England next year because my get-a-20
drive has been interrupted by a sudden unexpected need for new tie rods
and alignment.

OTOH, I'd join the support group.  I've got guilt over ignoring my M50/2
for years in preference to the A50/1.2 which I don't recall EVER shooting
wide open (good thing, too, from what I hear).

DJE