From: Rob Studdert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 7:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: *ist D sensor and 35mm lens resolution

On 9 Mar 2004 at 18:24, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Oh no, very mistaken! Yes of course a 14mp FF sensor will be better than
> a 6Mp FF sensor in terms of resolution, but a 6MP FF sensor is DEFINATELY
better
> than a 6MP APS sensor, not only will the image be sharper due to lens
> limitations,
>  the FF image will be less noiser due to larger pixel area. The only
> downside
>  to FF vs. APS for a given Mp is cost.

John, you're not listening, many of us are very happy with the noise
performance and latitude afforded by our puny APS sized 6MP sensors, many of
us
however would like full frame coverage. The cost is mainly a function of the
substrate size not the density, CCD sensors of any density have huge
structures
compared with most any other type of VLSI semiconductor in production. In
other
words the cost to produce a 6MP or 14MP FF sensor is going to be similar.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998