On 11 Mar 2004 at 9:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> It's really only one jump now to the
> highest "equals 35mm film" numbers I've seen, and there is no particular reason
> to stop there.  Sure, there are supposed to be physical limits of the
> technology, but they said that about computers, too, and they just keep getting
> faster.

I believe that 14MP 35mm full frame image sensors when mature, will deliver
quality that rivals all but the best films used under optimal taking
conditions. After which point there isn't much point forging to higher pixel
densities. Also the constraints on imaging technology are somewhat different
and well defined to those of non-opto-sensitive VLSI development (such as RAM
and CPUs). The fact that opto devices for photo-imaging need to remain
sufficiently sensitive to the visible light spectrum to be at all useful limits
their density development.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998