On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:20:30 +1000, Tanya & Russell Mayer wrote:

>Ok, so you guys think you've got it bad, well here's my story! (hehe, I love
>to tell stories!)...
>
>The city I live in is called Mount Isa, there are just over 20,000 people
>my very own especially built dark room, AND I will also have access to all
>of the University's darkroom facilities, so the problem definitely won't
>exist then.  But in the meantime, what's a girl to do......?

Tanya,

15 years ago there were some very good labs in Brisbane who I would not
have hesitated posting films to - Townsend Colourtech in the Valley was
my favourite.  Today I can't tell, but with Express post envelopes
being reasonably priced I quite often send 6 or 7 rolls of Kodachrome
to get processed complete with a return Express Post bag and get them
back in 5 working days or so which is a major feat for Kodachrome.

I would probably talk to the lab that does the double sets of 6 x 8's
and see if they can come up with a price for doing corrected prints and
ensuring that there is no dust or water splotches on the negs and
prints.  If you offer them a bit more money and the promise of more
work they should be interested in sorting something out, if not then
you probably don't want to deal with them anyway!  Talk to them about
your choice of films aswell and try starting each film with a test shot
that includes bright white dark black and a mid grey - this hopefully
will give them a way of getting the colours right.

Do either of the Labs do their own enlargments?  You will probably be
getting orders for a few of them so make sure they can deliver on that
aswell.

Failing all that buy yourself a neg scanner and scan the negs yourself
and send them (FTP or Email) to somewhere like Michael's Camera store
in Melbourne (www.michaels.com.au) who have a Fuji Frontier system and
will print them and courier them back to you.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon