Here and in other countries I usually travel with $40-50 USD or local equivalence. Virtually everything is with credit card, the cash is for backup. If I need more cash, it is readily available as a withdrawal from an ATM.

As several have noted, ATM's in foreign countries have usually been the best cheapest way to 'exchange' one currency for another. I think that is true even with a 1-2% surcharge.

And any small town will have 3-5 ATM's (Automatic Teller Machines); one at each of the 2 banks, one at the gas (petrol) station, one at the largest food store, maybe another in the motel/hotel lobby.

Stan

Tanya Mayer Photography wrote:

Just wondering - with regards to my USA trip - I was thinking of not bringing any cash at all, and just paying my spending money off my visa. It will be a great help for tax purposes etc, and I rarely carry cash here any more, I usually use EFTPOS for everything. How widely accepted is VISA in the States? Are you able to pay taxi's etc with VISA? Or should I carry some cash with me? What about on GFM? Are there any teller machines that will allow me to withdraw cash from my VISA? I have a pretty large purchase that I will be making whilst I am over there and will need to get my hands on at least USD$650 whilst I am on the mountain (or beforehand to bring with me)....

tan.