I do not have a digital camera, so I can only speak in generalities. But digital to my understanding is much like slide film. Blown highlights are unrecoverable. You might try setting exposure compensation to underexpose 1/2 to 2 stops depending on the brightness of those highlights. I might just leave it set on -1/2 stop all the time on the principle that an underexposed image will be salvageable where an overexposed one would not if it were me.

Since I believe you are used to negative film, this is probably the opposite of what you do without thinking. Which means working on retraining yourself a bit.

--

Tanya Mayer Photography wrote:

The reason for this post is to ask for your help. Since shooting with the *istD, I have had MAJOR problems with blown out highlights. I shot a wedding last weekend which was on the beach at 11am and almost every shot with the water in the background is totally blown out. Likewise, when using flash, I am having alot of overexposure problems too. And then, on the other hand, a blown out shot will be followed by a shot that has a blue sky and for the life of me, I can't figure out what it is I'd done differently. Now my biiiiiiiig concern and problem here is that I will be shooting the kids for this agency for two full days over a Saturday and a Sunday. The light will be varying alot over the time and they will all be shot on the beach! Here is a link to the type of images they will be expecting:

--
graywolf
http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."