In the old days... caution - greatly simplified...

...Left and right referred to where representatives sat (wing) in the French
Parliament. In the US (and perhaps elsewhere) it came to mean (generally):

        Left - large government with greater power is necessary and desired
to solve the nations problems and will not interfere with the liberty of the
people.
        Right - Small government with minimal power is necessary and desired
to maintain the liberty of the people and adequate to solve the nations
problems.

Most folks are really a mixture of the two, with views depending upon the
issue.

Often you will hear some folks being described as Centrists. A little of
each perhaps. Folks are trying to reach a balance between security and
liberty and where they sit (assuming they are really knowledgeable -
whatever that means) will depend upon which of two noble goals they prize
most.

Speaking, just for me, liberty for mankind is the greatest prize. I don't
find "balance" to be in the center of US politics. I see on side as
"weighted".

Over the years, left and right became less a description of political
philosophy and more a long list of policies whereby folks are judged by
their "stand" on each political issue, and caricatures for leftists and
rightists evolved. It all became quite confusing.

When I say I am "right of center", this is the "scale" I am referring to.

Regards,
Bob...
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease
was already taken.
  - Anonymous, presumed dead.

From: "Tanya Mayer Photography" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>