I don't know what the "thingee that came with Elements" is,
but I'd like to recommend the Color Spyder.  I borrowed a
friend's and it worked a lot better than the "thingee" that
came with Photoshop.

Is the thingee with elements a physical device, or just some
software that you use to adjust the monitor by eye?