Hi,

Wednesday, March 24, 2004, 6:58:50 PM, Ann wrote:

> Why isn't easier to reply off list?  Is there no
> way to do this without
> (in my mail at least) having to copy and paste the
> writer's address into
> another window.

In most of the mail clients I've used you can use Reply All and just
remove the list address. That's what I do.

> Can't it be set up so that one
> can hit "reply' in whatever
> mail server one is using and it will only be sent
> to the person to whom
> one wants to replY?  and using "Reply all" would
> send it to the list as
> well, but it would have to be a conscious
> decision.

I'm on another list which has that and I really don't like it. Perhaps
that's because I'm used to the behaviour of this one.

If most of your replies are to the list - which I suspect is true for
most people on this list - then having 'Reply' set up to reply to the
individual only will cause an awful lot of extra work for a lot of people.
They would have to hit 'Reply All' - getting everybody to remember would
be quite a feat - then strip out the individual's name so it only went to
the list. Otherwise the individual would get 2 copies, which causes even
more work as they then have to delete the duplicates, and remember
which one to reply to. If you reply to the wrong one it will go to the
other individual, not to the list, and so on. As far as I remember it
was set up rather like this when I first subscribed, and it wasn't
successful even with the lower volumes of email back then.

> The other point is simply that I think signature
> lines, no matter what
> they say (beyond one's name and "address",
>  are one of the most annoying features of email.

Amen. But they can very revealing!

--
Cheers,
 Bob