Howdy,

Just from my observations about this thread, it sounds as though there is
nothing wrong with either lens or camera bodies except for the fact that
when that Vivitar lens was designed, the designers could not have
anticipated that Pentax would stick their Power-Zoom contacts in the way of
the elongated gaurd that protects the lever/pin (on lens) for aperature
coupling.  on Pentax brand lenses (and most off-brands) this "gaurd" is
quite short; only about a cm (1/3-1/3 inch) long.  It therefore does not hit
the little sqaure protrusion that holds the AF body's Power-Zoom contacts.
Some off-brand lenses have a guard that is 2 or 3 cm (1-2 inches) long.  The
very end of this strikes this little PZ protrusion inside the body's mount.
Simply put; not compatable.  As to which off-brand lenses have this problem,
I don't know all of them.  I do know that a brand labelled Magnicon in
Canada (former Black's Photography stores' relabelled house brand) had this
problem.  I had this cute little (although "Coke-bottle" performance) 70-200
PKA mnt lens that would not work with my first AF body, my then-newly
acquired PZ-1.  Needless to say, that was the end of that lens and I sold it
with my Super Program.

Again my two bits worth,

Darren "can almost feel the MZ-S in hand" Sutherland

PS. If there is still confusion about this I can always snap some digital
pics of said items at work to illistrate this problem.  And no comments on
my inaccurate conversion of measurements as I'm being VERY approximate!
:OP