Stan Halpin wrote:

> Tanya - someone who knows what they are talking about can answer
> this better
> than I can, but the basic principle is that any K, M, A, F or FA lens will
> fit on any K, Ka, or Kaf mount. No exceptions.

But we've just been discussing the exceptions!! These may have post dated
your post so to summarise: Pentax have modified the mirror box by taking
some of the space for Power zoom bits even if the camera does not support
PZ.  This means that SOME older Vivitar lenses will NOT mount on Pentax
autofocus bodies (and the MZ-M) which came after the SF series.

>(Of course all
> camera + lens
> functions won't work the same, depends on how you mix lens and cameras of
> different generations.

OK

> But the lens will mount and it will be usable if it
> is a good lens.)

NO - see above

> If the lens won't mount, it is either something
> wrong with
> the lens or with the mount. If you are easily mounting/dismounting other
> lenses, then it is a lens problem.

YES but it is not broken - it is in the design.  When the lens was made it
fit all K-mounts.  Pentax have modified the shape of the mirror box on later
cameras.

> Now there may be a trick with the particular lens. Or it may be something
> silly like a loose screw in the base of the lens mount which is
> catching on
> the mount. Or the lens may be damaged.
> I would suggest opening and closing the aperture a few times
> (i.e., work the
> f/stop ring), work the aperture control level a few times, see if anything
> is obviously loose or of different appearance from your other lenses.

See above - It will NOT mount.

Trying to fit these particular lenses MAY DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA.  If you read
the whole thread someone has reported damage to the mirror in LX cameras and
speculates that the damage is caused by such lenses.

If my use of capitals seems rude sorry Stan I wasn't shouting - just trying
to emphasise points which we have established as you appeared to be giving
advice without the awareness of other comments on this particular issue.

It would be useful if we can pool our knowledge to establish exactly which
lenses are affected as we appear to have identified at least 2 now.

One is the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm F3.5 macro with 67mm Filter thread.
One is the Vivitar Series 1 28mm f2 (more details Tanya?)
Any more?

Peter