At 14:42 31/03/04, you wrote:
I compared the Velvia scan with my original slide side by side and the colour and shade details are pretty much the same (on my monitor anyway), except the slide still looks better of course. :-)...

It is a known issue that slides do not work well with scanners in general; and for Velvia it is almost never satisfactory on account of its extremely high contrast.

I speak from personal experience. I tweaked my scanner for 8 months, and then send it to the manufacturer for checking. All for a single roll of Velvia, which very unfortunately was my very first roll for my new scanner. Delayed my learning curve for a whole year; and then I read that Velvia should not be scanned!

Sung Nee