As things stand, yes the superia is a better overall image.  However, it
does lack the colour in the flowers which really endears the Velvia.  I
think the Velvia suffers for a number of reasons - slightly darker
exposure and not enough done to the scan to retrieve shadow information.
Velvia does have a tendency to block up in the shadows so the darker
exposure doesn't help here, plus it can be difficult to get these areas
to scan well.  If you set too high a black point then you will lose a
lot of Velvia detail - I tend to keep the black point set to 0 for
Velvia and tweak in PS if I need to, as at least you have all the
information to start with.  If you can adjust the Analog gain up a
fraction this can REALLY help extract the most from the dark areas too.
Even as things stand you can retrieve more from the shadows on the
Velvia pic you posted - I did a quick one here:
http://www.calcot.plus.com/Pentax/AlanVevia2.jpg  Not the greatest of
efforts, but really you need to get a better scan to start on.  Having
said that, The velvia probably needed a little more exposure to start
with and would probably never scan as well in terms of shadow anyway.  I
think Provia might have been better for you here!