The bar code, I think, is identical on all rolls of the same type.  I think
the best way to do this memory feature is to assign roll numbers to the
rolls, and instead of the camera counting frames to get back to where it
left off, have it count sprocket holes, that way you can be really precise.

Todd

At 04:36 PM 4/9/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hold on - there is another possibility. I just checked what is actually
printed on a film cartridge and there is a bar code. Can the Minolta read
this? If it can why do they not say so?
http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen

read the (imprinted?) film data - imprinted data becomes visible only after
the film is developed and you would not need to reuse a developed film,
would you?
>It seems that the camera assigns a number for each film - like dn1-0004
shown in PopPhoto article. So you access Custom Function 3 to leave the
film tip out and when reloading somehow tell the camera this number and so
it reloads and transports film to the next unexposed frame. Absolutely
useless feature - if you need to write down the film number, you could more
easily write down the frame number and wind on to this number.