The old adage that there are no free lunches is applicable.

Somewhere, someone pays for what's on the net, that is seemingly "free."
If you use it, don't think it's just availaable for the taking thereof.
Even if it's "only" time, the moderators, the site caretakers, folks like that give of their time, but time is not free.
What those folks give is time they could use more productively to gain a salary (definition: an exchange of product for money.)
We all have to live.

So, when the plea for remuneration comes, please don't treat it as a big surprise, like you thought you were being supplied those services because you were such a nice person.
Maybe you are, but that and $2.50 will get you a cuppa tea.