At 01:53 PM 4/11/2004 -0400, you wrote:

thanks for the information. i will have to think about this whole subject of
teleconverters for a while. you see, today, i just got myself an A* 400 f2.8
too and it's not quite long enough for birding even on the *istD, so i am
resigned to having to use a teleconverter on it quite a lot of the time. i
have the A1.4X-L and A2X-L converters too and i find them to be quite sharp,
but at 40-60 ft distances, the DOF is so low wide open that it's hard to be
precisely on focus without some back and forth. that means time, and that
means lost pictures. i guess that is where the AF converter is best.
manually get focus close and let the camera do the rest.

Yes - the little bit of AF helps, and a true AF lens, of course, would be ideal. I use my 400 f2.8 almost entirely with a TC - the only exception being when shooting large water foul like swans. That may change with the *ist-D though....

i also have the pair of current Sigma AF 1.4X and 2X converters and i find
that they lose some contrast and sharpness over the Pentax Ls, and have
frequent strange bokeh on top of that. i have been thinking about the 1.7X
AF converter because the AF still functions somewhat but i was wondering
about quality. i did do some chromatic abberation tests with the A2X-L
converter mounted and the combination did very well. no visible abberation
on the *istD images out to the corners.

My own tests with the 2x-L showed it to be quite good on the A* 400. to test, I mounted the lens on a tripod and put a monopod on the camera. But in the field, the results are not as good. I think that the 400 + 1.7x is the maximum I can currently work with reliably.

what do you use for a support when shooting with the 400 f2.8? right now, i
have a Wimberley head on a Gitzo 1325, but it's hard to stalk a bird.
instead, i pick a position and edge up a bit, but that is about all. is a
big monopod good enough for this?

I have a monopod that I almost never use - it is not heavy enough for the A* 400. I use a Bogen 3036 Tripod with a 3049 ball head. Both are rated to hold 25 lbs. When walking out to locations I drop the camera, lens, flash, etc into a backpack. I put a strap on the tripod (just a standard laptop-bag strap) and sling it over my shoulder as well. It's about 30lbs of stuff - figure 13 for the tripod/head, 13 for the lens, and a few more lbs for the rest. Once at the location I mount the camera, lens, and flash on the tripod and lock it all in place, with the legs pre-set to so that tripod is at the right height when set up. I just carry the rig on my shoulder after that. It's not always easy, but it usually isn't all that difficult.

I would think the gimble head would be ideal. Can you lock it down tight? I also use this tripod for my 6x7 (these days) and for shooting in high winds were I need something heavier than the 3021, so I'd rather stick with the more general-purpose ball head. But for long telephotos, the gimble should be best.

incidentally, i mounted my *istD on an A* 1200 f8 this morning and tried to
take a picture under complete overcast. my Gitzo 1325 with the Wimberley
head is just not adequate to support the lens steadily. i could have tried
holding and bracing more than i did, but i didn't think it was a good use of
my time. this is a lens where if you can't shoot at 1/1000s or faster,
you'll just get vibration blurs most of the time. i can see this lens being
used on a tripod with an automatic adjusting monopod/ball head on the camera
at all times.

I've never even seen the beast but 1200mm would be a whole order of magnitude over anything I've used. I really think that beginning with 300mm and up, technique really becomes critical and the challenges of technique grow exponentially and you move into longer / bigger/ heavier glass.

Hope this helps -

MCC
-----

Mark Cassino Photography