see inline.

Herb...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Cassino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: PAW- Bird and Moon Shots

> Yes - the little bit of AF helps, and a true AF lens, of course, would be
> ideal.  I use my 400 f2.8 almost entirely with a TC - the only exception
> being when shooting large water foul like swans.  That may change with the
> *ist-D though....

well, i am mostly shooting small birds right now more or less because that's
what is handy to try and haven't had much opportunity to shoot anything very
large except with tame ones. last weekend was the first time i could really
try to take some of red-winged black birds, but i had all of 45 minutes to
spend doing it, so i didn't have a chance to sit for a while and let them
get used me so i could move in closer. OTOH, i did see a male/female pair
sitting next to each other, enough to identify in binoculars, but not enough
to photograph.

> I have a monopod that I almost never use - it is not heavy enough for the
> A* 400.  I use a Bogen 3036 Tripod with a 3049 ball head.  Both are rated
> to hold 25 lbs. When walking out to locations I drop the camera, lens,
> flash, etc into a backpack. I put a strap on the tripod (just a standard
> laptop-bag strap) and sling it over my shoulder as well.  It's about 30lbs
> of stuff - figure 13 for the tripod/head, 13 for the lens, and a few more
> lbs for the rest.  Once at the location I mount the camera, lens, and
flash
> on the tripod and lock it all in place, with the legs pre-set to so that
> tripod is at the right height when set up.  I just carry the rig on my
> shoulder after that.  It's not always easy, but it usually isn't all that
> difficult.

i can't find that tripod, just the 3046, in my Bogen catalog. i assume they
are similar. the 13lbs total is only a little bit more than my setup. the
Gitzo 1325 is rated to 26 lbs and weighs 4.5lbs. the leveling base weighs
1.5lbs and then the Wimberley head weighs 4lbs with the quick release. the
head is rated to a lot more than 26 lbs. it's designed for 600 f4 lenses and
has notes on using an 800 f5.6 on it. do you use any special backpack for
carrying the lens? the custom case is out of the question for normal use. do
you use a beam focuser on your flash? it's something i haven't yet started
doing, but i recognize that i will have to fairly soon. yeah, once at my
location, i put everything together and leave it that way until i have to
move a substantial distance. i have the lens strap attached and am wearing
it oer my head when i mount the lens on the tripod. don't want any
accidents.

> I would think the gimble head would be ideal.  Can you lock it down
> tight?  I also use this tripod for my 6x7  (these days) and for shooting
in
> high winds were I need something heavier than the 3021, so I'd rather
stick
> with the more general-purpose ball head. But for long telephotos, the
> gimble should be best.

the nice thing about the Gitzo leveling base on the tripod is that it makes
it easy to change heads, if you need to. you thread the head on moderately
tight with just fingers and then there is a lever to turn the thread itself
an extra quarter turn to lock down the head. the base fits only Gitzo
Systematic tripods, so you would have to switch brands. i don't know of
anyone else's addon to a tripod that does the same thing. the Wimberley
locks down with some easy-to-turn large knobs and doesn't budge under normal
loads.

> I've never even seen the beast but 1200mm would be a whole order of
> magnitude over anything I've used.  I really think that beginning with
> 300mm and up, technique really becomes critical and the challenges of
> technique grow exponentially and you move into longer / bigger/ heavier
glass.

that's what i have found, and a larger aperture helps because of the higher
possible shutter speed. FWIW, Canon has a 1200/5.6L IS lens that weighs
almost 37 lbs. the A* 1200/8 has two 3/8" and four 1/4" mounting holes in
the base. from what i can see. you want to use at least 3 of the holes on a
long Arca Swiss plate. i use the Arca Swiss plates on all of my bodies and
long lenses. especially on the Wimberley, i can balance the lens so that it
moves freely and remains in position when i let go. the plates let me slide
the lens to position it on the balance point as i add or remove things like
extenders and the flash.