thanks Tom, to you and the others who replied. That makes sense!

- MCC

Yes, fine sense.. As I understand it (I'm an
electronics engineer) it is the gain or amplification
of the system that is changed... So the sensor has
fixed light and produces a fixed output signal.. BUT
between the sensor and the digital encoding is an
amplifier system (like a pre-amp on a hi-fi). This
amplifier has a software controllable gain (volume
control= ISO control) to present a larger or smaller
signal to the Analogue to Digital Converters which
digitize the signal for the internal computer to
generate the file..
Just as you get a bit more hiss if you turn the Amp up
high so also you get a bit more random signal (Noise)
when you set a higher ISO. This noise is partly due to
the inherent noise down at the bottom of the sensor
signal being amplified more, and partly due to the
amplifiers themselves, naturally the bigger the gain
(Higher ISO) the worse the problem becomes.. But we
lowlighters will begin to see digi-noise just as we
see golfball grain.. as a feature rather than a bug!
Hope this helps, Tom.

-----

Mark Cassino Photography

Kalamazoo, MI