on 4/10/01 9:24 PM, William Robb at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> BTW, the APS system is extremely problematic. Considering the amount of R&D
>>> that went into it, I am surprised it is as bad as it is.
>>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> It seems you do have bad experiences and observations on the APS system.
>> <snip> Could you be kind enough to elaborate a bit more about your
>> experience?
>>
> Most of the bad stuff is caused by the cassette itself.
<<Bill's excellent description snipped for short>>
> My reality, however, is the customer who paid $49.99 for their camera. Thanks
> William Robb

Thank you, Bill,

It really gave me a good peep into what's really going on in a lab which we
do not normally see.  Good thing I asked the question :-)

I once disassembled an APS cassette out of curiosity and was amazed by
ingenuity went into the design of this stuff.  But I was also surprised to
see how flimsy this thing is with tiny parts, considering more number of
35mm magazine.  With this knowledge, I could understand why you said it's
extremely problematic.  Once something happens, it is not as straightforward
as the 35mm film.
I have not experienced any cassette related problems so far, and it could be
because all my APS cameras (except the Elph Jr.) are better grade SLRs.
But my worst nightmare is the film jam inside the camera, particularly
during a vacation etc.  I heard quite a lot of these cases but sometimes it
appears to happen in certain camera/film combination, or a bad design in
dealing with the battery depletion etc.
In my case, the frequency of the APS usage is not that heavy and perhaps
that's why I have not experienced anything bad (yet :-)

However, with the accumulation of experiences by both users and processors,
I really hope that the industry will come up with the 35mm APS system (with
somewhat more processor friendly design :-).  By that time, the digital
system may be dominating but a larger APS system could offer more than what
the current 24mm sys can.  The concept itself is something to be admired, in
my opinion.

Thanks again,

Ken