on 4/10/01 9:24 PM, William Robb at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Small negative syndrome: People insist on shooting 400 speed film and
> specifying panoramics from that little 18x27mm negative.

I understand that Bill has a penchant for MF/LF and was somewhat surprised
that he was rather benign on the APS and its smaller neg size here :-)

Unfortunately, one of the reasons for a bad reputation of the APS images, in
my opinion, comes largely from the ignorance by the people who use it.  In
many cases, it is inevitable because people buy APS (mostly P&S cameras) for
a fool-proof convenience, and do not quite understand (or care) the exposure
and the film speed etc.  The resultant poor images are usually attributed to
the format.
The MRC is one of the best features of the APS but it has to be used more
frequently, particularly for the P&S cameras, to compensate the shortcoming
of these cameras (slow, often low quality lenses, but a big long zoom and
very weak built-in flashes, definite recipe for producing underexposed and
often blurred pics due to slower shutter speed).  If one is concerned about
the smaller neg size compared with the 35mm, he/she should be even more
mindful in squeezing the best possible performance out of the given
camera/film combination.

Cheers,

Ken (who is still longing for the APS application to 35mm, and possibly the
MedF systems)