"Markus Maurer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Sunday evening Survey :-)
>
>what photographic publications do you read often and which books about
>photography are a must to read and look at and why?

Books:

I was reading Galen Rowell's "Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" a while
back. Great book and highly recommended. He has a chapter devoted to
books *he* recommends and they're almost all on the subject of visual
perception rather than photography per se.

The first book Rowell recommends is Oliver Sacks' "An Anthropologist on
Mars" so I bought that one next. Absolutely outstanding discussion of
visual perception in two chapters. The Case of the Colorblind Painter is
about an artist who loses all color perception - and even the *concept*
of color - after a head injury. To See and Not See is about a blind man
whose sight is restored in his 40's (he became blind in childhood).
Other chapters touch on the concept of sensory perception in general and
are valuable (as well as fascinating) reading also. Highly, highly
recommended.

A couple of weeks ago I picked a book called "Masterclass in
Photography" by Michael and Julien Busselle, a father and son
photography team. They discuss various concepts in photography,
illustrate them with their own excellent photos and comment on each
other's work. It's not overly wordy (fairly minimalist as far as text is
concerned, in fact) and seems like a good source for ideas for
photographers of all experience levels. I found this book on a special
table at the local Barnes & Noble bookstore. It's a fairly large
hardcover volume filled with high quality reproductions of their
photographs. Good source of ideas, IMHO.

Next, I'm going to try to track down some more of the non-photographic
books Galen Rowell recommended. I find powells.com is a good source for
used and out-of-print books. I'll report back on what I find.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing