I thought like that, until I met an image wghich the Pentax convertor
was soo poor with that I couldn't ignore it.  Then I kept seeing it
elsewhere too, and suddenly I couldn't work with it any more, much to my
cost (and Adobe's gain).

If I wasn't using RAW, I would be using jpg.  You really cant tell a
significant difference unless you need the advantage of 16 bit colour
for manipulation.  The biggest plus for RAW is not the lack of
compression issues but the ability to adjust exposure and white balance
etc after the event asnd recover detail which would otherwise be lost in
the highlights or shadows.