No, ducks are not boring.  You lack knowledge and experience with ducks.
I've had a couple, and they are intelligent, amusing, creative birds.  The
trick, Shawn, is to know your subject, and know it well, and your
photography will improve. But more than that, on a deeper level, your
appreciation for your photographic subjects, in this instance, ducks, will
improve.

Photography is not only about gear - the beauty of a lens, the fine click
of a shutter, the qualities of various film stock, or the number of pixels
in a scan.  It's about communication.  In order for you to communicate
something worthwhile in your photographs, you must have something to
communicate.  That comes with empathy, time, experience.  No matter what
you're photographing, whether people, ducks, bugs, or inanimate objects.

Shel Belinkoff