Hi all,

I recently acquired a Program Plus and SMC Pentax-A 50/1.7 in outstanding cosmetic condition. Maybe the physical condition should have been an alert as to why the camera was hardly used.

After installing fresh silver oxide batteries and a roll of film I noted the following problems:

The aperture ring, when rotating from 1.7 to 22 stops exactly half way between 8 & 11. When I press the program exposure button I'm able to continue rotating to the rest of the settings. At 22 I have to press the button again to put it into program exposure mode--as I should. Rotating from 22 to 1.7 works just fine. Any ideas what the problem is and what it might take to correct it?

The camera's exposure readouts are another story. In program mode with the aperture set on the green A, the display alternates between P 1000 F22 and ooo oo, the o's being the weak battery indicator. In shutter priority mode the display alternates between 1000 [blank-no f stop] and ooo ooo. Changing f stops does not change the display. In manual mode shutter speed is displayed, either +3 or +2 shows in the aperture display window-never an actual aperture value and still the alternating with ooo oo.

I've mounted the above referenced 50mm lens, a Sigma 35-70 zoom with the "A" setting capability and a 50mm SMC Pentax-M without the "A" setting capability. Same readouts for with each.

Not only did I use fresh silver oxide batteries, I tried a second pair and, for good measure, a pair of fresh alkalines. Same results.

The shutter fired on all the various settings I tried. The roll of prints appears to be exposed correctly for each of the three modes.

Is what I described a known issue with the Program Plus? Is it expensive to fix? Can anyone think of any potential problems that might crop up if I just ignore the faulty readouts?

Thanks,

Gary