Aaron Reynolds wrote:

> I have too many friends who don't ask for enough up front for weddings
> and the like, and then when faced with demands from the client for cheap
> prints or the like ("Twelve dollars for an 8x10?  I can get one done at
> Wal-Mart for six!"), they find themselves not making any money, or worse
> still, losing money.

I was asked (didn't offer) some years ago to shoot a wedding for a colleague
at work. I said I would do it but didn't negotiate a fee because I was
willing as an amateur to do it at cost.

I did it and got lots of praise for the results around the office.  Not once
was I even offered the cost of film and processing let alone thanked. My
view was that a token thanks such as a bottle of Scotch might have been a
reasonable gesture.

Peter