On 19/5/04, MARK R, discombobulated, offered:

>I haven't used either lens, but since the original poster mentioned
>"candid" photos, I'm thinking the enormous, intimidating 85/1.4 might
>not be ideal, regardless of its stellar optical characteristics :)

Beg to differ Mark. I don't think the A*85 can be called enormous and
intimidating?? Look at the FA 28-70 - that is enormous!

Indoors, I wouldn't think twice about removing a lens hood for candids -
if it meant I was slightly less obtrusive. A bit of flare in the pic is
neither here nor there if the difference is not getting the pic at all.
The hood removed, the A*85 is hardly intimidating, and I would go so far
as to say that it is no more enormous than a any other wide-ish prime,
say a 50 1.4. Yes.

The thing to do is to try and get to see both in situ. The 77 sure looks
tempting though. But it's a no brainer for me. 85.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__