Gianfranco Irlanda wrote:

> In my opinion, the 85 is not really bad for landscapes/scenery
> (made recently a side by side test, comparing it to a Summicron
> M 90/2: almost the same performance at infinity, and quite good
> even wide open...),

Is the Summicron so bad? I tested three different samples of the 85/1.4 FA*,
and they all worked well under average at infinity (and very, veeeeery
goooood! within portrait range)

> it just is not a very friendly lens to carry
> around for general purposes. It is unbeatable when it comes to
> portraits, though.

I second that completely, the only serious challenger probably being the A*
85/1.4.

> I prefer to have the faster lens possible (I
> do a lot of "available darkness" shots), so I guess the 77mm
> would not be fast enough for me. I do like the handling of the
> 85 when mounted on the Z-1 or on the MZ-3 with grip, but it
> matches also the LX + winder + grip quite well.

I took some concert pictures (night pictures, on the beach) with the MZ-S
(2003) and the *ist D (2004), and they are fascinating and hard to get (at
least those taken on film) with a slower lens.

> A little tale. Once I was in my former faculty for a meeting
> that attracted all the chiefs of the local administration (Mayor
> of the City of Naples, President of the Province and President
> of the Region, along with the Chancellor of the University and
> the Dean of the Faculty). I took the necessary shots, almost all
> with the FA* 85 - with hood - and before the end of the meeting
> I was going away but, as soon as I reached the exit, a couple of
> plain-clothes cops stopped me and aked me who I was and why I
> was taking all those pictures. I spent half an hour explaining
> them who, why, etc. before I could head away. Luckily, the Dean
> of the Faculty knows me since I was a freshman, so I added that
> to the explanation; that seemed to relax them.
> The day after I brought the shots to the Dean, who told me that
> the policemen asked him too about my presence, and added that
> one of the reasons of their perplexity was that HUGE lens I had
> on the camera... Go figure...

:-)

Dario