Dario Bonazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In my opinion, the 85 is not really bad for
landscapes/scenery
> > (made recently a side by side test, comparing it to a
Summicron
> > M 90/2: almost the same performance at infinity, and quite
good
> > even wide open...),
>
> Is the Summicron so bad? I tested three different samples of
the 85/1.4 FA*,
> and they all worked well under average at infinity (and very,
veeeeery
> goooood! within portrait range)

Hi Dario,

I have the discontinued version, not the late Aspherical Apo
(which seems to be THE 90mm, at least according to the users'
opinions).
My Summicron is marginally better at wide apertures (I recall I
compared the two at f/4, 5.6 and 8, but some time ago I compared
the FA* to another 85mm starting from 1.4 and find it
definitively usable, and not bad at all). I made few shots with
the 90 at f/2 and infinity and it is ok, although probably not
the best lens for that. A couple of years ago I tested several
primes and a zoom at infinity at around 100mm and, surprise!,
the winner was the M 100/2.8, almost astonishing wide open!
Maybe I own a lucky sample...
I still have a couple of Technical Pan in the fridge, maybe a
more scientific comparison is due.

Ciao,

Gianfranco

=====
“To read is to travel without all the hassles of luggage.”

                        ---Emilio Salgari (1863-1911)