Pentax would be a prime candidate for acquisition right now. They are profitable to a point, but small enough to acquire and dismember. A juggernaught like Canon could easily do so. Nikon, however, are in trouble (well at least their parent company is in financial trouble - they lost 3 or 4 billion USD this last year).

Cheers

Shaun

William Robb wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J. Alling"
Subject: Re: Dpreview - New SLR

Based on the fact that they haven't introduced a new ltd. lens

lately it

may be a great finish.

True enough. I do think though, that they are going to have to turn
themselves into a brand with Leica style cachet appeal to survive.
OTOH, perhaps they can do quite well at present levels of sales,
though I suspect that those numbers will continue to erode. Canon is
just too much of a steamroller right now to not crush the smaller
players that get in the way.

William Robb

--

________________________________________________________________________ Dr. Shaun Canning Archaeologist Cultural Heritage Services P.O. Box 21, Dampier, 6713.