While I believe Pentax is a publicly traded company, I think I read somewhere that a majority of their stock is closely held. It's tough to buy and
dismember companies like that. I used to work for one. The CEO owned 51% of the voting stock outright, made a corporate takeover impossible.

Dr. Shaun Canning wrote:

Pentax would be a prime candidate for acquisition right now. They are profitable to a point, but small enough to acquire and dismember. A juggernaught like Canon could easily do so. Nikon, however, are in trouble (well at least their parent company is in financial trouble - they lost 3 or 4 billion USD this last year).

Cheers

Shaun

William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J. Alling"
Subject: Re: Dpreview - New SLR

Based on the fact that they haven't introduced a new ltd. lens

lately it

may be a great finish.

True enough. I do think though, that they are going to have to turn themselves into a brand with Leica style cachet appeal to survive. OTOH, perhaps they can do quite well at present levels of sales, though I suspect that those numbers will continue to erode. Canon is just too much of a steamroller right now to not crush the smaller players that get in the way.

William Robb