On 8 Jun 2004 at 14:03, Shawn K. wrote:

> I have to disagree with you here Rob.  The 16-45 has CA problems worse than this
> that I've seen, so it doesn't surprise me, especially since this lens is 14mm,
> and that alone is a difficult thing to accomplish...

I'm not so sure. The difficulty in producing good wide angles is generally
associated with their extreme WA coverage it's not a function solely of the of
the FL. The smaller the area of the projected image behind the lens the easier
it is to produce the lens. There are some very low distortion very cheap sub
5mm lenses being produced for small sensor digicams. At it's price and given
it's limited scope for use I'd expect it to be near perfect.

> I honestly think the
> resolution of the lens is beyond the capability of the istD's sensor....

That I can assure you it is not if you are referring to the Pentax samples as
examples.

> I've seen much worse examples of CA,
> particularly of the FA 24mm lens.

Which out of the array of lenses I own has the poorest CA performance of the
lot.

> Maybe you are trying to get Pentax to make some last minute quality
> upgrades by complaining loudly, I don't know.  I'm just being honest.

As am I.

> The
> pictures weren't amazingly good, but then again, the lens is 14mm's, and it's a
> 2.8, and it's going to debut at less than 700 dollars.  The A 15mm is about
> double that, and has problems of its own, so you tell me which lens is the
> better bang for the buck.

The A15/3.5mm is US$900 at the most and it's usable on all Pentax bodies so you
tell me which is the best value?

> By the way, everyone knows that in camera sharpening even on the highest
> setting does practically nothing.  All the image settings in camera make
> very slight changes actually, and the sharpness is the most slight of them
> all.

Strangely I can see the difference between settings.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998