Both lenses come with built-in sliding hoods, though I will indeed equip
them with longer hoods, as I invariably do. But I still prefer to protect
the front glass with a filter; I live in fear of scratching the front
element of a lens that took forever to find and will take a second forever
to replace. I don't even like to apply a microfiber cleaning cloth to the
"real" front element.

Todd Stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It might help a little bit in situations where the light coming almost
sideways that would normally hit the front element is now blocked by the
ring on the filter, but then why not just get a good lens hood?

Todd

Paul Franklin Stregevsky