[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Both lenses come with built-in sliding hoods, though I will indeed equip
> them with longer hoods, as I invariably do. But I still prefer to protect
> the front glass with a filter; I live in fear of scratching the front
> element of a lens that took forever to find and will take a second forever
> to replace. I don't even like to apply a microfiber cleaning cloth to the
> "real" front element.

Hi Paul ... so use both a hood and a filter, but don't expect the
filter to add any qualities to the lens that it doesn't already
have.  And don't be so afraid of cleaning the lens.  Except for some
older, non coated lenses, or those with very poor coatings, the
front elements will stand up to proper cleaning.

I've stopped babying my lenses after seeing some Leica, Contax, and
Pentax reps clean their lenses.  Yes, I prefer to use a filter on
many of my lenses when using them in harsh environments, or if the
lens was especially hard to find, but, overall, it seems that most
good lenses don't have to be treated with kid gloves.  I recently
cleaned up a Leitz Summicron using ROR and an old (and very soft) T
shirt.  Man, that sukka sparkles ...<g>.
--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]