On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, William Robb wrote:

> I read this and thought to myself..... Lets see if what Clive
> did was a party trick or real.
[snip]
> She really ground that sucker out.
> The glass cleaned up as good as new, not a mark on it.
> I might start cleaning my lenses.

I've heard the stories about the cigarette-butting incident from my Pentax
rep, too.  According to him, the Canon and Nikon reps weren't too eager to
try it on their lenses.  :)  I clean my less-valuable lenses all the time
by breathing on them and wiping them with whatever shirt I happen to be
wearing at the time, provided it's clean.  If I remember correctly, the
SMC is supposed to be tougher than the glass, and there's no way I can
scratch most glass with my shirt.  There's never been a problem so far,
though I hesitate to do this with my more expensive lenses.

chris